Coaldale Volunteer Fire Company was organized April 26,1906. The meeting was held in the East Ward School Building which is now vacant. The seventy-five members elected the following officers: Alexander Murphy, President; William Evans, Vice-President; H.F. Blaney, Recording Secretary; Charles A. Melley, Financial Secretary; Neal J. Boyle, Treasurer; William Morrall, Peter McHugh and John Yemm, Investigating Committee; Thomas Minnick, Assistant Foreman; Neal McNelis, Sergeant-At-Arms; James D. Boyle, Assistant Foreman; and James L. Gallagher, Fire Chief.
First Station & First Fire Truck
In 1907 the Coaldale Borough Hall was built at the cost of $15,000.00. This was the First station for the company. In 1908, the Town Council bought its newly organized Fire Company its first fire truck, a Howe motor driven pumper and chemical engine for $5,000.00. It was one of the first of its kind in Pennsylvania and the first in Schuylkill County. After being in use for six years, it was discarded for it proved to be unsatisfactory.
After discarding the motor driven engine, a horse-driven fire engine was purchased by Town Council. Two horses were purchased by the Fire Department. John (Buster) Hoben was the first driver of this team of horses. All equipment of the Howe engine was transferred to the horse drawn engine with the exception of the pump.
In 1916, the firemen purchased a motor driven combination pumper and chemical engine from the Hahn Motor Company of Hamburg. Motor driven fire apparatus was still an experiment in 1916 and the Hahn purchased at this time was proved to be unsatisfactory. The 1916 Hahn served its purpose until 1923.
In 1923 REO chemical engine was purchased through Michael Domin. The firemen realized the necessity of a pumper that would give them enough pressure to fight any fire that might break out in the community.
In 1928 the firemen purchased a new Seagraves at a cost of $12,500.00. It was equipped with a centrifugal pump which has the capacity of 1000 gallons per minute. This truck served the Fire Company until 1990.
In 1941 the firemen purchased a Hahn pumper with a 1000 gallon per minute pump and a full complement of wooden ground ladders ranging from 12 to 50 feet. For a period of twenty-three years, the 1928 Seagraves and the 1941 Hahn served as the community's source of fire protection.
In May of 1964, the firemen saw the need of a small truck to carry the protective and fire-fighting equipment owned by the Fire Department. The company then purchased a 1960 Chevrolet walk-in van for $1,595.00. The truck carried the boots, coats, helmets, smoke masks, and brush fire equipment owned by the company.
In August of 1965, the members of the company decided to look in to the purchase of a new pumper to replace the Hahn which was starting to have major mechanical problems. A five-year dream was finally realized in September of 1970 when a new Mack CF-600 1000 gallon per minute quad pumper was delivered to Coaldale for a price of $32,500.00.
After the purchase of the Mack, the firemen worked to build up the treasury and in October of 1972 took delivery of a 1972 GMC Equipment carrier for the price of $9,000.00. This truck was equipped with a power supply for emergency lighting system, search and rescue equipment, and self-contained breathing apparatus.
In October of 1975, the fire company entered into a contract with the American LaFrance Corp. of Elmira, New York to purchase a new "Century" model pumper, for the price of $58,382.00. The delivery on this truck was May of 1977. The American La France was in unsatisfactory condition on delivery, and returned to the manufacturer.
In 1977, the company moved into its new station at 121 West High Street. All of the inside work was done by members of the company. The station has three bays, full kitchen, bath rooms, and a social area for the members. This station is still where the CFD calls home.